Monday, October 25, 2004

All the best...

I've had that Nellie McKay song "Waiter" in my head all day - especially the ending where it breaks into Carolina In The Morning. There is probably a good reason why no one ever wrote a song that said anything to the effect of "nothing could be finer than to be in Headingley in the morning"; and especially on a rather damp and grey morning in autumn.

That was what I had today as I trudged off to lectures. Now I have a happy afternoon of Internet-based research on the long-term storage of analogue tapes ahead of me for the dissertation. Time to put the kettle on, I think.

By the way, I highly recommend that Nellie McKay album to almost anyone - listen to at least 2 songs on it before you decide if you want it or not. Her website is http://www.nelliemckay.com/

As for the grey and damp Headingley, it is still grey and damp but at least it's not Hyde Park. Or Springburn, come to think of it.

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Ahh... I'm sure Springburn is a bright, optimistic district, one of Glasgow's many dear green places.

Or have I never been there...?

Matthew Cochrane said...

Maybe you have, I'm not sure. Possibly not the same part of Springburn I went to college in for a year though. You should try hanging out in at the shopping centre for a while if you get the chance.

Anonymous said...

Springburn with its Hydepark, St Rollox and Cowlairs gave a lot of its old stamina to people like me who spent their young lives there,Billy Connollys rendition of (Glasgow),saying the words,It gave me more than it ever took away, says it all. Springburn is Glasgow. H.K.