Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Heathcliff! It's me; I'm a tree, I'm a wombat

(Kate Bush this time. You've realised that I've taken to using misheard lyrics, right?)

So...yeah. Halloween apparently happened at the weekend but we didn't really do anything Halloween related. There was much that was wrong going on outside our flat though. We live on a main road in the student part of the city - so there are bars, takeaways, charity shops, letting agencies all within spitting distance pretty much. Student Halloween isn't the same as Halloween for children. For one thing I don't think any of the students went guising - they would be laughed at and/or shot probably. One of the other differences sort of kicks in around high school time when Halloween becomes an excuse to dress in a way that you never normally would. By the time you get to university or college student this generally means skin-tight and barely there (and the girls are just as bad).

The memorable moment of Halloween (and I'd been to a concert over in Huddersfield so I missed most of the craziness back in Leeds) was seeing a group of people running from one pub to another dressed in sumo wrestler "fat" costumes. Much better to be in a car with people looking at stuff like that than walking because you can laugh at them.

The activities of the Tuesday for me are: collecting some money owed to us by a letting agency (oddly enough, not our letting agency but it's a long story) and watching Star Wars whilst taking notes. This may seem unusually geeky, even for me, but it's for university work; we need to know how long typical scenes are in films, television programs, radio programs and in theatre, so the only way to find out is to watch/listen to them. And a lovely Star Wars boxed set showed up in the mail today from Amazon.

It's also an important day for the USA of course. If anyone is reading this from America I just want to ask: why are you reading this?

All the very best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"It's also an important day for the USA of course. If anyone is reading this from America I just want to ask: why are you reading this?"

Because the blog author is a hottie! And because I'm a Solsburian and a Jedi and I own all!

Gabrielfully yours,

Mac Cat, Director of Coffee