Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Grammys

The Grammy nominations were announced and I looked over them eagerly but nothing I’ve worked on was there… ach well. It does show how not-on-the-pulse my finger is though. I know it’s American (what is with all those R&B categories? If you are going to have World music cover everything that isn’t from the US, how do you tell the difference between Country, Bluegrass and Folk?) but there seemed to be a few odd choices. Especially in the Long Form Music Video category… anyway, stuff I liked:

First of all to big up the semi-obvious people, I was very pleased to see Tchad Blake get nominated for his engineering on “Give” by The Bad Plus. That album was made very quickly and is one of the heaviest-sounding jazz albums I know of. Also good to see Ozomatli get a nomination for “Street Signs” in the Latin/ Rock Alternative Album Category, as well as Youssou N’Dour and Angelique Kidjo in the Best Contemporary World Music Album category. Also good to see Kill Bill Vol.2 nominated in Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For A Motion Picture, etc as a producer I know worked on a track for that (it was “About Her” which samples The Zombies).

What the heck is going on with the Best Song, Best Album and Best Record categories? Nothing special there at all in my opinion. And as for Marron 5 getting a Best Pop Performance… well I don’t think I need to go over that material again.

Good to see Sarah McLachlan in the Best Pop Vocal album category – Afterglow isn’t my favourite of her albums but I love her stuff. I reckon the producers of Toxic by Britney Spears should win the Best Dance Recording by a long shot, although I like Scissor Sisters I hate their cover of “Comfortably Numb.” That the Female Pop Performance category contains both Björk and Gwen Stefani is wonderful. Also I was pleased to see “Creepin’ In” by Norah Jones and Dolly Parton, and Into The West from the movie version of Return Of The King make appearances.

That’s my Grammy overview so far. Apart from, I hope that they get a certain new DVD in the Long Form Music Video Category next year.,..

No comments: