Friday, February 18, 2005

The Five Pound Note and other scandals

The FivePoundNoteScandal - the title came from back in 2002 the Bank Of England issues a new five-pound note. It had a picture of Elizabeth Fry on them and they were described by the Bank of England's chief cashier Merlyn Lowther as "the most secure five pound note we have ever produced". Only the serial numbers rub off, a little like a lottery scratchcard. The notes were suspended, then replaced with ones that didn't have the rub-off serial numbers which are the ones we mostly use now.

How this became the name of the latest music venture I'm still not entirely sure, but I'm really bad at thinking up names for such things. So this is the deal - an EP of 3 or 4 track which will hopefully keep myself and Dom from my course at university from insanity due to paper work. We've got a rough idea where we are going with it but have not yet written or recorded anything.

Work for university related stuff continues. That's about all that can be said about that. Valentine's Day wasn't the grandly decadent affair it has been in passed years - rather it was a series of drinks followed by a visit to a nightclub. I wasn't especially wanting to dance and so I left early and walked back to the flat.

The Grammy awards - well, I'm not entirely sure where to start. Glad to see the Blind Boys Of Alabama and Roy Harper, Ozomatli get awards for albums and Britney Spears' producers get an award for Toxic (for all the reservations you might have about her connection with reality, it's a very well recorded and produced song). I missed the whole Ray Charles thing by the looks of it, I'm not entirely sure why he is great or rather why everyone has suddenly decided he is great now that he is dead. Rod Stewart got an award... why? An album of covers with an American theme. The whole thing seemed a little too much of a celebration of blandness. I had associated the Grammys with artists, producers and engineers who had either done something very well or broken some new ground in some way and I wasn't seeing much of any of that. A case in point being Maroon 5 getting best newcomer in a year when there have been some interesting artists releasing well-recorded albums. And also U2, whom I broadly like, but haven't actually moved on that much from "All That You Can't Leave Behind" and people only liked that because it sounded a bit like The Joshua Tree in places. And the video for Vertigo... I'm not sure.

I worry that the general public in the USA is becoming very conservative (with a small c) having said that if it means that we get the more interesting acts first in the UK then that may not be a bad thing. But we get Keane and Athlete - very nice bands, I'm sure, but they make Travis look like the Rolling Stones. I'm fed up with mid-tempo bands with pianos, and guitars (played quietly, or in the case of Coldplay playing the same note throughout) and sensitive lead singers. They aren't intrinsically bad, we just have too many of them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You dance? I feel I have learned something new today.

Also, Pam says you have to go and see the Ray Charles film. Apperently you'll learn.

Matthew Cochrane said...

I didn't actually say that I ever had been in the mood for dancing...

Anonymous said...

One day I’ll manage to ask you a question you can’t answer. Yes, one day…

Anonymous said...

Could this be a display of sibling disagreement? David, Life is not about asking questions Matthew can't answer

Anonymous said...

You sound like my Dad!

Matthew Cochrane said...

You can put names on this now, I am told, rather than just being "anonymous." It would certainly help as I try to work out who is actually putting comments on here...

Anonymous said...

The order goes:
Me (David, your brother)
You
Me
Dad
Me
You
:)