Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Watch out where the huskies go...


Snowystreet
Originally uploaded by Matcochr.
The first recording took places for the Five Pound Note Scandal project (hereinafter “5PNS” on Monday evening. It’s the first time I’ve actually used Pro Tools under any kind of pressure without being paid to do so and was surprisingly fun. It’s definitely been too long since I worked with other people on musical projects (well, ones where I had input to the music anyway). And that bloke who used to pay me definitely had a point when he said that the best bit of making music was brainstorming ideas with other people.

It also gave me a chance to get out all the acoustic instruments I have lying about (not that many really) to try making sounds on, which led to the suggestion that I might try to do my individual project presentation in clanger with a swanee whistle. Maybe not. (Because I know some people on this website may be Canadian, too young to remember, or even from America – Clangers are reasonably well explained here.)

Anyway, the music was fun and not exactly what I’d normally do – which is good because it feels like I’m trying something new which was the point.

The university work is still going on, and so is the snow. I included a photo for your scoff at our lack of any snow that lasts beyond lunchtime; no staying power in this West Yorkshire snow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about using Clangers - the Soup Dragon seemed to have a more interesting personality, and a better grasp of expressive language.

Matthew Cochrane said...

Not related to the earlier comment but at least one reader has asked me to reference the songs that I quote in the titles - this one is an incomplete Frank Zappa song quote. The full quote is "Watch Out Where The Huskies Go, And Don't You Eat That Yellow Snow."