Monday, March 21, 2005

Give me some time, I'm living in twilight

I feel so heartless…

Over the weekend our phone landline stopped working. I unplugged the phone and tested all the cables, changed all the cables with spares to see if anything was wrong and reluctantly concluded that as the internet connection was still working then the problem was likely to be with our phone.

Malek, rather hopefully, reported a fault with the line just in case via BT Online.

Then this morning the phone rang to our mutual surprise. A pleasant Indian lady told me that our phone line is now working and I bit my tongue to keep from being sarcastic. She apologised on behalf of British Telecom for the problem and gave us a number to call to report any future problems and I couldn’t hold back any more.

“Sorry, what do we do if there is a fault in the line?”
“Dial 550,”
“And how do we do that if our phone-line isn’t working?”
“No, if you have a problem with your phone-line…”
“Yes?”
“Dial 550.”
“Sorry, if the phone isn’t working then dialing from it probably isn’t going to help very much.”

It was more or less at this point that I just felt like I was being mean, and overly pedantic and pointed out that I would be sure to report any faults via my mobile phone if we had another problem…

No comments: