Saturday, March 12, 2005

When the first cup of coffee tastes like washing up...

Writing continues as always. Quite often it’s still the dissertation that I’m writing. I’m getting fed up with the university not actually telling us about work we should submit. Arguably they are putting it in internet-based calendars on WebCT which is a system we use where we can log in to download course materials, etc. The thing is that once you have downloaded them, I tend not to check back every week on the offchance that they have decided, say, that we have to submit a video trailer kind of thing next week for our group project. Or that they decided to have a lecture yesterday to tell us how to make such a video. They have told us because they put it on the internet and gave us all passwords and things to get to it, but it's not something that the average student actually looks at much so they might as well have not told us. It’s a bit like that scene from the first episode of The Hitch-Hikers’ Guide To The Galaxy:

-----
"But Mr. Dent, the plans have been on display at the local planning office for the last nine months.”
“On Display!? I eventually had go down to the cellar…”
“That's the display department.”
“With a torch.”
“The lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But you found the notice didn't you?”
“Yes, I did. It was 'on display' in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet, stuck in a disused lavatory, with a sign on the door saying, 'Beware of the leopard.’ Ever thought of going into advertising?"
-----

Ooh... can't wait to see the Hitch-Hikers' Guide film.

On Wednesday night I went to the university library with Dom to work away from the distractions of the internet and if you follow his blog as well as mine you’ll know that didn’t work. At 2.30am Dom found out that most of the books he needed were at the Civic Campus in Leeds town centre as opposed to Headingley Campus (or Beckett(‘s) Park as everyone still calls it) which is a little closer to where I live and much prettier. So we walked to the Civic campus and set ourselves up on the third floor of the library, with no one else there and tried to work but mostly ended up just chatting.

My target was to make 5,000 words before tonight when there is a party happening which it would be nice to go to but may well make much of tomorrow a write-off. Making yesterday a write-off was the arrival through the post of my lovely Reason 3 upgrade. Reason is a computer program that, together with Pro Tools LE, features large in my music making and they have added a few special new toys and samples and things which meant that a long time yesterday was spent fiddling with it.

It’s not been all no-work though, during Thursday I contacted some professional engineers – to run some questions passed them. Most people have been happy for me to send them questions, only people that I know reasonably well have replied with answers so far though…

Today there was a fortunately-short but interesting debate after I received an e-mail which told me that if I followed a particular diet I could look good in a bikini by the summer. Everyone agreed that it would likely take a lot more than a diet for me to look good in a bikini and I would tend to agree. And on that note....

1 comment:

meegs said...

who'd you end up chatting with into the wee hours of the morn?

moi :)

hehehe
-M