Thursday, March 09, 2006

Don't give us none of you agriculture, we had it with your death star plan

It’s an odd experience when an old memory suddenly comes back for no apparent reason. Often I find that most of memories are triggered by being a in a certain place – it’s widely regarded as a sense thing: you hear, see, smell, touch or taste something and it reminds you of something else. It might be that the smell of rice-pudding burning around the edges makes you think of school dinners, or the smell of bonfires makes you think of childhood autumns. If you are in the same places most days then it’s quite likely you’ll be going through the same memories, which is sort of like reading the same chapter from the same book every night. It is, therefore, vitally important to get out once in a while.

For some reason, whilst wandering about the theatre tonight I found myself in a funny mood (funny as in odd, rather than comedic) From somewhere I remembered being taught a song in primary school, early in primary school. It took me a while to remember where it was from (and a quick search using my search engine of choice) but it turned out it was “Morningtown Ride” by The Seekers. I have no idea why this particular primary school teacher taught us that song, and after downloading the song from the iTunes store I’m not sure I like that arrangement of the song, but for some reason I love the main image behind the song – a comparison between going to bed and a long train journey. You can look them up if you like, but they might not mean as much as to you as they do to me because you might not have the same experience of them. That bit depends on your experience of The Seekers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting - Easy!!

I