Friday, May 19, 2006

And I'll pull her legs with every step you take

Today I finally finished the audition work I’d started in a vague sort of way last week. There are some other sillier things that I’ve been putting off – there are at least two blog posts that I’ve been meaning to write for some time and I need to get around to, the Dream On CDs need duplicating, and I need to go and see friends in Leeds before they all leave for good. What I ended up doing today (because the CDs haven’t arrived yet and breaks from the computer are a Good Thing) is playing computer games. I found a couple of emulators for the Mac – one for playing Spectrum games and one for opening classic LucasArts games such as “Day Of The Tentacle” or “Monkey Island” (note that for these games to work, you actually need to have the discs, and I do because I bought them at the time).


Pictured is Boulder Dash for the Spectrum loading on my Powerbook… yes, you still have to wait 3 minutes to load the thing but at least once it has loaded it always works now. Still, I need to figure out how to get the emulator to load the non-realtime versions of these things; it doesn’t take two and a half minutes to shift 36KB these days, even on dial-up. Still, it'll tide me over until I get to an Intel-Mac with Boot Camp software to run Windows XP (the Spectrum is more intuitive and was virus-free too).

The first part of a large shipment from Amazon arrived today and along with a couple of DVDs I’ve been meaning to watch I’m going to have that new book/CD/DVD joy for a while. My brother kindly bought me the second season (when did we stop calling them “series”? Is it now that a series consists of several seasons?) of The X-Files and I realised that I hadn’t seen the last couple of disks of the first season yet.

When clearing out the piles of papers and sticky labels that were next to the videos I found an advert that had come with the X-Files when I bought a few videos of them with pocket money some time ago, advertising that the second season would be available on DVD from July 1997 and would cost £79.99 coming in limited edition number box-sets. Looking at the DVDs which fit in a small box and cost about a fifth of that price, I’m glad we waited.

1 comment:

Aleks said...

Re Seasons and Series...

A series is what us brits call a series... this can be any length 5 episodes, 7 anything you like within reason and programming generally.

A season is to do with the way American programming works the year is divided up into different time slots and a season is 13 weeks... therefore a programe runs for a 13 week season hence season 1 season 2 etc.....

this is one reasons why the new doctor whos are 13 episodes long.... it's a very saleable product a 13 programme season...

How sad am I?!