Thursday, June 08, 2006

Somebody once told me the world was macaroni

Too long since I blogged… You internet-browsing people are strange; I’ve haven’t posted anything on here for a little while and yet I’ve had more hits in the last couple of days than at any point in the last month. This seems to be because of Google’s new “Blog Search” facility, and also there have been a lot of people hunting for the Biggar Theatre Workshop blog (link is on the right there, step right up for Sweet Charity rehearsal photos). In addition to which, some people have been looking for:
Newbigging Strawberry,
Subs and Doms (I mentioned this as part of my list from Overheard On The Underground, just so you know),
The meaning of Don’t Pay The Ferryman.

Workwise I’m kind of at a middle point just now. This sound design thing rather relies on other people to write scripts, and more people to read them for a recording. Having been warned that one sound design job might not be enough in terms of money or work frequency, I was half looking for something else as well. BBC Talent this year are (for once) looking for two things which I could potentially do; but either of them would mean excluding all other things, and probably moving to Manchester. So… whilst a successful application would mean that I’d need to seriously rethink the immediate future (starting with showing someone how to do sound for a second performance of “The Best Snow For Skiing” in October), the practice could be handy.

So, it’s time for another audition –but this one is a tad shorter than the last; 100% less spaceships, explosions and Daleks, instead this next one takes as it’s premise an nervous Olympic athlete having a bad dream.

One of the good things about the sort-of community around Biggar Theatre Workshop is that they tend to support other projects. In that spirit, about 15 of us all went to see a performance of “As You Like It” at Traquair House in which some young actors who have performed at the workshop had lead roles. I’ve not been to see outdoor theatre before, and the whole cast and crew gave a very good performance (obviously the two from BTW were the best). Note for anyone at an outdoor performance in Scotland: midge-repellent, it’s all about midge-repellent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this one, but can someone else get it?

Matthew Cochrane said...

It looks like they can't...

Anonymous said...

Well, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed or anything...