Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Music, makes the boys all sing, on their album.

Well first news, the trailer for Summer Of Love is now available and you can look at the cover as you are listening. I you look back in this blog (and you don't have to look too far) you should find a link to the relevant page at Big Finish's web-site.

Tomorrow I have to sort out my stuff for London. The plan had been to start Project03 but the delivery of it has been slightly delayed... it's going to be a stretch but achievable. I ordered two new sound effect CDs - "Crowds" and "Bang."

The work at the weekend was quite tough though, working on incidental music. All my past experience with working on music has either been for the music to be listened to by itself, or the small pieces I used to do for friend's student films. Now the student films were nothing as complicated as having to actually synchronise things - I'd do a little piece of music and someone else would edit it into the film. Incidental music for an audio drama is a whole different kettle of fish though. It has to fit in between the dialogue (obviously the most important thing in a audio-drama) and sound effects without masking either. Then there's the problems of incidental music in a scene that already has music as part of it - such as in a bar or something - and in other places the drones and sounds in the background have an innate pitch which can clash. Also, to tell the truth, I think it's all sounding pretty good without much music at all.

Back in April I mentioned that Cliff Richard wanted copyright to last longer on recordings (mostly because his early hits were about to come out of copyright. Well, now it seems that the National Sound Archive (which is part of the British Library, and one of the most amazing sound archives I've ever seen/heard) want the opposite - they want to see copyright relaxed so they can make copies of their ageing audio material. Officially they can't copy things because a lot of it is still protected by copyright, but with a lot of old tape. and video simply falling apart now due to age (or even the equipment to play them is hard to find) it makes sense to make copies of things. Preferably digital ones with lots of meta-data about what the file is, what is required to open it and what it contains.

Think about this next time you are playing music on your iPod, how many other devices have you got where the media that you are playing and the machine which plays it are the same thing? If I'm taking a piece of music to play to someone I might not know whether to take a CD, DAT, Minidisc, maybe even cassette. If I take an MP3 player, I know I'll be able to play it back.

And on that slightly smug note, I'll go to bed wondering why I can't get the train which goes from Glasgow to London in less than 4 hours. And how did I get to 150 posts in this blog already...

No comments: