Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The papers want to know who shot you where

A mention on a gossip site had me investigating with some interest the section on the Downing Street website where the public can create and sign various petitions. Of particular note are the petition to replace the national anthem with "Gold" by Spandau Ballet (1,955 signatures at the time of writing), and the petition which reads "We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to stand on his head and juggle ice-cream. If he's not going to resign, the least he can do is provide us with some entertainment" (2,858 signatures). All of which has to annoy people posting petitions such as "Stem the flow of immigrants into the UK" (a paltry 740) or "Include a 'None of the Above' on Voting Forms" (617).

I was also intrigued by the petition calling to "Ban the manufacture, sale and use of snares" until I realised it referred to the cruel animal trap and not the snappy drums.

Made an unexpected trip to Glasgow (that is, I hadn't planned to make a trip to Glasgow until yesterday when I suddenly had two good reasons to go), and am now the proud owner of a portable recording device for those hard-to-reach places where I can't take the Power Book easily. The trip to London mentioned earlier this month had been put back, which was great for me as I was full of virus at the time, and is now taking place at the end of this week. Train journeys aside it promises to be quite fun, and when I return there shall be stuff to do.

No comments: