Sunday, March 25, 2007

If you're all alone with a pretty purse and phone

Sound design changes made, now it's all music score and then hopefully we are very nearly almost done. The music score is the bit I find the hardest - music comes fairly easily to me, but with audio drama I tend to agonise about whether it fits. I don't get sleepless nights or dark tea-times of the soul from sound design because with a disc of the actors performing the lines and the script it's all quite easy to imagine. Certainly with the last few things I've worked on I could hear how it should be in my head as I was editing the dialogue. Ideally that matches what the director hears in his head, but that's why we have time for tweaking.

Gentle encouragement from various people I met whilst in London has meant this one has a lot of music (so far). I am, as they say, going for it: I even played some guitar on it earlier today although it may not be recognisable as guitar by the time I'm finished with the granulating sequencer treatment I'd been running it through.

Tonight I realised I'd been trying to make things sound other-worldly yet "ethnic" and had completely neglected listening to my "Dead Can Dance" albums by way of reference. Now all I need is someone who can sing like Lisa Gerrard and I'm sorted. Oh... hang on that could be a problem.

CDs by my desk just now (from the bottom, up):
Ys - Joanna Newsom
Melankton - Kate Havnevik
Year Of Meteors - Laura Veirs
Myst soundtrack - Robyn Miller
Riven soundtrack - Robyn Miller
Myst III soundtrack - Jack Wall
Myst IV soundtrack - Jack Wall
Firefly soundtrack - Greg Edmonson
Pocket Symphony - Air
Warm Strangers - Vienna Teng
E.S. Posthumus - Unearthed
One Cello x 16: Natoma - Zoƫ Keating
... and now also Wake - Dead Can Dance.

Those aren't necessarily things I've been listening to in direct relation to work. I've found that if I try to deliberately avoid sounding like what I've been listening to lately, what I end up sounding like is albums I haven't played for a while. Also: I don't play cello, I haven't got a female vocalist, and although a Firefly/ Benny crossover would be amazing (copyrights would be troublesome, but that's not my problem) it's not what I'm doing just now.

Saturday was the last night of 'Pied Piper' which seems to have been a success. In theatre terms I *shouldn't* have much to do between now and October. That isn't to say that there may not be an event which required a quick rummage in the sound effects library but that is a worry for another day.

No comments: