Saturday, April 14, 2007

Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age

If you were that interested you may have already seen this on regular news channels, but as a follow-up to an earlier blog on the Oddest Book Title competition I can confirm that it was one by "The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification."

The BBC lists several past winners and I particularly like the idea of a book called "The Joy of Chickens" although I can't help hoping that it is a picture book of smiling poultry.

Watching a repeat of last week's Doctor Who (because there may not be a new one this weekend if some football match goes into extra time) I looked up some of the cast on IMDB only to discover that the main villain of the piece is one a week older than me.

Then rented "Hex" which I remember wanting to watch when it was on television but had been disappointed to find that it was Sky-only. Anyway, the pilot episode wasn't bad although there are a couple of big plot holes (some of which were caused by me having to skip bits due to a slightly scratchy DVD - thank you, LoveFilm and people who apparently play DVDs on a sanding machine). My main issue is about why the main character decided to pick up an old vase thing and take it back to decorate her room with. Reading summaries of the rest of the series, I'm not sure I can be bothered to stick with it for an increasingly convoluted plot. The consensus seems to be that it used elements which had worked in 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' and later worked on 'Charmed' (well, some people think so) but took itself far too seriously.

Arrived this week: CDs from Amazon (heralding a "They Might Be Giants" listening marathon) and my first ever tax return forms. It's hard to some up enthusiasm for the latter but it is a necessary evil.

So, if DW is put off for one week, why not use 45 minutes to bake a Dalek cake? Or alternatively buy a copy of "The Judas Gift" (out now, oh yes).

1 comment:

David Cochrane said...

Are you going to cook a Dalek cake?