Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I ate the sharpest tool in the shed

I've not done a huge amount of commercially released work, not by any means, but when I've finished something it can be quite hard to separate the experience of making it from the experience of listening to it.

For instance, much of "Growing Up Live" reminds me of the last week in which I was involved in it - a rather hectic period where (amongst other things)I spent a day and a bit in an aircraft hanger in Colerne. Anyway, I'm getting off the subject here. Real World are in the process of updating their web site which means that all the links I have down the right of my blog were no longer pointing at what they should be pointing at. Whilst I was sorting them I checked the other links as well – Big Finish is also going to have their web presence renovated soon.

What I found was that the Yaatri web site had changed completely since I last saw it with the addition of some testimonials on the site as well as newspaper cuttings and a clip from a local television news story. At the time I was mostly proud of the odd little technical bits, like being able to concentrate whilst working on it - because it's a relaxation album and if you get into it you tend to switch off. Seriously I like that we got through a track called "Ocean Of Love" which suggests the ocean without once using the sound of waves, whales or any other such New Age clich├ęs.

It's quite odd when you find that something you've done has had such an effect on others . Obviously BrainHeartMusic is only going to mention the good things they've been sent, but it's still quite powerful to see that something I'd been involved with had actually helped someone in some way.

Work-wise it should be quiet just now between projects but last night I started looking at some of the in-scene background music for "The End Of The World." I now have a big list of things I could conceivably do relating to that project before they record the actual voices.

Now, time to tidy up misheard lyrics. Most people seem to have given up guessing them now, I may stop doing them if it didn't amusingly confuse people who expect the title to have something to do with the content.

She keeps a mower and shotgun in a pretty cabinet = "Killer Queen" by Queen
Make you work hard, make you spend hard, make you want her buffalo = "Maneater" by Nelly Furtado
Make you work hard, make you spend hard, make you want her buffalo = "I'll Be There For You" by The Rembrants
You know, the preacher likes to bowl = "California Dreamin'" by The Mammas And The Papas
Real Gaunt Kid = "Real Gone Kid" by Deacon Blue
Hug a Raj band from Seattle = "Smells Like Nirvana" by 'Werid' Al Yankovic
Down in the gutter, he was styrofoam in the heat = "Bat Out Of Hell" by Meat Loaf
Wonder how you manage to make hen's meat = "Lady Madonna" by The Beatles
I get the urge for bowling when the meadow grass is turning brown = "Urge For Going" by Joni Mitchell
You got a credit card; yeah, what's wrong with it today? = "Bohemian Like You" by The Dandy Warholes
I hear you're killing sheep again, Mary Jane = "Mary Jane" by Alanis Morissette
She's plucking owls from the sky = "Miss America" by Blur
You know it’s a must; gotta have a friend in cheese sauce = "Spirit In The Sky" by Norman Greenbaum
Tricycle, Tricycle, Tricycle... = "Bicycle Race" by Queen
We'll take the trail marked on your father's back = "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer
Big Scream Dolls = "Little Wonder" by David Bowie
You will get a set of metal earrings, in your ear = "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee
A Big Carnation and a Big Ol' Truck = "American Pie" by Don McLean
Deck the halls with cows and collies = "Deck The Halls" which is a Christmas Carol
A crowded room, friends with tie-dyes = "Last Christmas" by Wham!
Two turtle doves and a cartridge in a pantry = "12 Days Of Christmas" which is another Christmas Carol
It's bigger than you, and you are nutmeat = "Losing My Religion" by R.E.M.
To me you're like a Roman dictionary that I can't deny = "Kiss From A Rose" by Seal
A year has passed since I broke my node = "Message In A Bottle" by The Police
Rescue me before I fall into 'dis barrel = "Message In A Bottle" by The Police
The papers want to know who shot you where = "Space Oddity" by David Bowie
Sweet dreams are made of cheese = "Sweet Dreams" by The Eurythmics
Happy as a rafter in the marketplace = "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da" by The Beatles
When you call me, you can call "Meow!" = "Call Me Al" by Paul Simon
Active bunny, but I don't know why = "Purple Haze" by Jimi Hendrix
Shake it like a polar bear ninja = "Hey Ya!" by Outkast
A little bit of sand, there in the sun = "Mambo No.5" by Lou Bega
If you're all alone with a pretty purse and phone = "Take A Chance On Me" by Abba
He lives on my block, he drives and I rock = "Teenage Dirtbag" by Wheatus.

No comments: