Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I'd rather have a piece of toast

Judging by the increase in traffic to my blog recently the way to keep people visiting is to post pictures of hydrogen explosions and mention George W. Bush. Or, at least to impress one person, the script for the Yakult advert.

"The End of the World"
will drop through my letterbox in raw form tomorrow, and it's not often I get to say that so I'm making the most of it. First job this time will be the trailer, because it needs to be on the end of "Freedom of Information." What with me heading to the glorious capital over this weekend, I'm going to try to have that trailer done before I go.

No spoilers from me, of course, but seeing as some writers tantalise by giving three words or so I thought I would contribute 2 bars of music from the pre-production:

Note that this might not make it to the final version. Also I'm not giving away which instrument it's played on to maintain some kind of suspense without endangering anything.

I don't often hand-write music because I didn't learn music that way, but I wanted to try some different approaches. One of the things I do a lot is work on music whilst listening to it, so I wanted to see what would happen when I did things the way I used to have to do them in school. What often used to happen is when I presented to the teacher to play what would come out wasn't what I had in my head (particularly in terms of rhythm). When I'm working from written music I still mostly end up writing the names of the notes below the stave.

Newest Word Magazine arrived today which I like very much, even if it generally involved my Amazon wishlist growing. This time I was favourably impressed by the track "Ghosts" by ex-Sugababe Siobhan Donaghy (quite Kate Bush/ Cocteau Twins-sounding). Also may end up buying Carla Bruni's second album as her first was the soundtrack to a lot of my wanderings around Bath.

The title of this post is a reference to a lyric by Des'ree which have hated for some time, coming top of a bad song lyric poll taken by BBC 6Music. Top 10 results of that poll here.

No comments: