Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I see a rickshaw and I want to paint it black

I've had a four-piece Amazon order arrive in four separate packages which was odd, at least it is on free delivery. The last of these was "The Fourth Bear" by Jasper Fforde is something I'm quite anxious to start reading but I'd only just started on Joanne Harris' "Gentlemen & Players."

I hate rushing books. It's something I suspect a few people will be doing with the new Harry Potter book when it's launched at the end of this month, the need to find out what happens out weighs just enjoying the words and clear mental images. It's almost more skim reading. Maybe some books don't stand up to being read slowly, because if you stop to look at the detail you might realise that they aren't that good really. Most books in airports with a Greek letter in the title fall into this category. On the other hand it is also possible to read so slowly that you can almost forget what is happening, which I was guilty of with both "The Celestine Prophecy" and "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."

Speaking of motorcycle maintenance I've mentally dropped a ball with regard to my moped. Because I bought and taxed the moped before I'd even properly moved into my flat in Bath, which was about a week after being legal to drive it, everything is up for renewal at the same time. Being focussed on work stuff meant that I'm doing this week what I probably should have been doing last week, but at least it's legal to drive to an MOT test centre even if my tax disc ran out... So, renew MOT then renew tax disc. Insurance renews itself and because I'm obviously wiser as I'm 25 now, and having gone 4 years without a claim the insurance is as low as it's ever been, but it is still an expensive month.

Meanwhile work continues with my first list of alterations to make being worked through and a happy weekend spent (mostly) getting the new theme tune together.

No comments: