Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Heaven wears clothes in a place like this

Hello, I'm still alive, etc. I was away for a week, and then there was the Kovwirana 2008 event in Glasgow, and then my brother came home, and then I went to see Noises Off (which was fab), and then I had a cold and haven't felt much like blogging since then.

But now there is more and urgent work coming next week (I'm not saying what it is until someone else does) and much more work for later.

In the meantime, it seems that the Bernice Summerfield adventure Adolescence of Time and the Doctor Who audio adaptation of the Ultimate Adventure stage play have been released. I can tell because when people find this blog looking for either of them on bit torrent they can actually find them. Did you know that if everyone who had downloaded Adolescence of Time had done so legally there might have been enough money for me to employ an assistant and it might have been out on time? I'm just saying...

Anyway, fun-quiz time. I may also set this challenge on a couple of Doctor Who forums but you'll find it here first: I have used the Wilhelm scream at least once in the Ultimate Adventure sound design. If you can spot it, there is no prize (at least not at the moment) apart from geek kudos from me, but it might be fun.

What's the Wilhelm scream? It was recorded in the 1930s for a film and slated as "man getting bit by an alligator, and he screams." It was consequently used in lots of films and even a few computer games - latterly because sound editors Ben Burtt, Rick Mitchell and Richard Anderson started using it wherever they could as a kind of in-joke. Seriously, it is used all over the place - look at this:


So now you know what it sounds like, all the best...

No comments: