Friday, February 19, 2010

And if you ask me how I'm feeling, don't tell me not to plant a seed.

I had a look at the site stats yesterday after I posted that blog and weirdly visitor number hadn't fallen dramatically considering that I've not been writing anything new for quite some time really.

Referrals were the usual mix of people looking for misheard lyrics I'd mentioned and quite a high proportion from other people's blogs (thank you for the links, everyone) and from my Twitter profile. That seems a little odd because I've been saying more on Twitter than I have here, but anyway...

Sometimes I think about having a "proper" website rather that merely a blog here and profiles at various other sites. The thought process goes roughly like this: I should get a website to show that I'm a proper working person with a business to promote and lots of lovely pieces of work to show off. But, if I do that and include contact details so that talented people can contact me and ask me to make noises for their stuff then they might contact me and ask me to make noises for their stuff, and my days are already full of making noises for stuff. So, currently, no promotional website for work because I'm too busy working. And twittering and blogging, obviously.

Actually "making noises for stuff" is as reasonable a summation of my job as I've yet come up with, though I still like "making specific noises happen at specific times, and sometimes having to make those noises myself." Today, however, I spent most of the afternoon finding and compiling noises that other people had made and putting them into the correct places. Now the noises are too dense and some must be removed for clarity, and some of them probably shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Learned today: drums sound good from tape, even 1/4" 8-track, and bass guitar can be improved greatly with Sansamp.

5 comments:

David Cochrane said...

You just Rick-Rolled, you sly bastard!

Linda Gillespie said...

Hey! Could this be a new blog title? Noises Off and On, or Noisy Toise, (maybe that's too twee) Or perhaps 'Sounds Like...' or there's tonight's word verification link 'Dwead Noisy'
It's been a long day, forgive me.....

Linda Gillespie said...

Not sure where that comment went. I hope it didn't just vanish into the ether, I don't think I could recall all the witty quips....

Matthew Cochrane said...

I moderate the comments here (it stops me getting spam messages as comments) so when you leave a comment I get an e-mail and have to say whether or not to publish a comment before it appears.

So, not in the ether or elsewhere.

Linda Gillespie said...

Ah! I read and understand! The hour was late and I was not firing on all cylinders!