This comes via Claire (who does hers over on this blog here).
The rules are detailed below but I added the following caveats:
no instrumentals, because that would just be mean;
no songs in languages that I can't type in (this ruled out one track by the Afro Celt Sound System);
if I have to go more than three minutes into a song to get to the lyrics then it counts as an instrumental.
There's a couple that are really very easy, and one where I put extra lyrics in to avoid confusing it with another song (it's complicated and involves one song sampling another before the first song was actually released).
Also, number five is not the Song of Solomon.
NEW BIT: This is finished now, and I've filled in the answers
Step 1: Put your music player on shuffle.
Step 2: Post the first line (or a few ;)) from the first 30 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing.
Step 3: Italicise the lyrics and post the details when someone guesses both artist and track correctly.
Step 4: For those who are guessing -- looking the lyrics up on a search engine is CHEATING!
Step 5: If you like the game post your own.
1. Think of me very scientifically / share your thoughts with me / send them over land and sea.
Telepathy - Emiliana Torrini
2. Riding through the city on my bike all day 'cos the filth took away my licence.
LDN - Lily Allen
3. Now in Vienna there's ten pretty women / there's a shoulder where death comes to cry.
Take This Waltz - Leonard Cohen
4. Ground control to Major Tom.
Space Oddity - David Bowie
5. I will rise now and go about the city / In the streets, broadways I seek / him whom my soul loveth.
Glass - Bat For Lashes
6. Armoured cars sail the sky, the pink at dawn. / If I lived forever you just wouldn't be so beautiful as the sun
Pilots - Goldfrapp
7. I don't want to fall in love I don't want to see the stars up above in the sky, I just wanna catch your eye.
Because It's Not Love (But It's Still a Feeling) - The Pipettes
8. Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play?
Dear Prudence - The Beatles
9. You are my angel come from way above to bring me love.
Angel - Massive Attack
10. Your flirt finds me out, teases the crack in me, smittens me with hope.
Possibly Maybe - Bjork
11. I'm wearing my fur pyjamas. I ride a hot potato / It's tickling my fancy. Speak up, I can't hear you.
Wild Wild Life - Talking Heads
12. It's coming on Christmas / they're cutting down trees.
River - Joni Mitchell
13. This is the basic plucking for the Staunton lick
The Staunton Lick - Lemon Jelly
14. My love has gone / His boots no longer by my door / He left at dawn and as I slept I felt him go / New York, New York, temperature's dropping.
Postcards - Faithless
15. Don't come after / Don't come after / Please don't follow me along / When you read this I'll be gone.
Ask the Mountains (feat. Stina Nordenstam) - Vangelis
16. Flies are buzzing round my head / vultures circling the dead / Picking up every last crumb.
Optimistic - Radiohead (David only had the artist)
17. I'll make it through the rainy days / I'll be the one who stands here longer than the rest
Stronger - Sugababes
18. I could have been a sailor, I could have been a cook / A real life lover, I could have been a book.
One of These Things First - Nick Drake (it took two of you to get that one)
19. When you're quiet but your eyes are saying everything I need to know. / I want to burrow like a sparrow.
Might Tell You Tonight - Scissor Sisters
20. Before you go and leave this town I want to see you one more time.
Twist - Goldrapp
21. I fell into the street, poison in my veins / Clamber to my feet and into the night again.
Your Only Doll - Laura Marling
22. Those silent words of conversation / hold me now this adulation / See me now / Oh, it's easy now.
Funny Time of Year - Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man
23. I remember all the things she did before / I remember all the times she cried / I remember all the things you promised her
Meddle - Little Boots
24. See the great white star / over Battery Park / Then a flare glides over / but I won't look at that sky.
New Killer Star - David Bowie
25. Doesn't mean much / it doesn't mean anything at all / The life I've left behind me / is a cold room.
Sweet Surrender - Sarah McLachlan
26. Underneath my actions was hateful intent. / Should I have showed that I could be fair?
Make It Right- Siobhan Donaghy
27. Mon amour j'ai pensé avec naïveté / Qu'un brin seul de muguet pouvait te ramener
Le Vieil Amant - Emilie Simon
28. So long ago / in a dream you were on a road / you were on your own / The dream to sing about you.
Harmonia - Shortwave Set
29. Eighteen towers on a dirty sky / seventeen ravens learned to fly / sixteen ships on a river to the sea.
071 - Paris Motel
30. Someone plugged you in / and sadly they clipped your wings / now you can't fly away
Electric Bird - Sia