Sunday, March 10, 2013

Maxwell, jump!

Right, so it's been a while since I blogged hasn't it?

I did, a few months before Christmas, write two new posts to put up here and never quite got around to it. So now I have been here, noted that Blogger has probably changed at least twice since I posted anything much with it, and have checked that most of the important links still seem to work.

I've also removed the link to my Twitter feed (which was actually a Yahoo! Pipe that removed all the replies to people before posting my Tweets here) because my Twitter feed is now set to be secure.

Stuff has been happening. I'll try to summarise.

After Clearning Up came Revealing Diary (music by me) and The Plotters (admittedly quite minimal music by me). Sometimes being able to turn around the sort of music the director wants in less than six hours seems to be better than getting something deep and technically amazing that takes two weeks to do. I've done work on a fourth short film by The Guerrier Brothers, but in this case it was finishing off sound effects and a mix that somebody else had already start. Once it is online I'll be posting a link here for it.

There have been further Big Finish projects: Binary, The Many Deaths of Jo Grant and House of Cards in the Companion Chronicle range; and two of the three stories on Legion and a few scenes of Many Happy Returns in the Bernice Summerfield range.

I should say more about that last one: Many Happy Returns is a special release to celebrate twenty years of Bernice Summerfield and all the money from it is being donated to an ME charity (www.investinme.org). All the writers, actors and production team worked for free, and it's download-only to save on costs of producing a run of CDs and packaging. Do check it out if you have any interest in that sort of thing because it is for a very worthwhile cause.

Needing The Money, I took a job part-time at a hospital where I heat and serve the food. I also do a tea-round which I quite enjoy because of the human interaction. There is something to be said for a guaranteed monthly income from a job where you don't have to worry about it when you aren't there. Also it means that in the eyes of perspective mortgage lenders I'm not as much a drain on my girlfriend's finances as I would be otherwise. This is the way of being freelance.

I went to college to do a European Computer Driving Licence (exactly as exciting as it sounds - I can now prove my ability to use the Internet, Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint). I quite liked that so I went on to study for a qualification called Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector, which teaches the basics of teaching Further Education. The qualification is frequently abbreviated to PTLLS (pronounced: "petals"). It went quite well so now I am studying for a Certificate in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (abbreviation pronounced "ketals"). As part of that I have to do thirty hours of actual teaching at an actual college, and asking around to see if anyone would be happy to let me do that I found a college that was actually willing to pay me to do that regularly. So I am now also a part-time lecturer. Not sure if I can say much more about that here, but I start tomorrow and am a tiny bit nervous. We'll see how that goes.

I also did some music for the news section of a audio newspaper for the blind and partially sighted, and it looks like I'll be doing some volunteer stunt editing for a hospital radio station too.

That would seem to be all the main things for now. Keeps me busy, eh?

No comments: